Friday, March 6, 2015

What We Did Right at Our Failed Startup: Not Much

I enjoy reading retrospectives on failed startups. I can easily relate to them because I’ve experienced a decent amount of failure during my experience as a startup founder. I felt it was time to share my story so that others might learn from it. I know I have.

Camargus was founded in 2010 and went under three years later. Despite a sizable round of funding, it went belly up pretty fast over the course of its final year. This was not caused by a particular person or due to carelessness, but rather due by a culmination of misguided decisions over the years, even the ones made from the start. As founder and developer-turned-CEO, I was the central figure and therefore perhaps the most responsible.

I’m going to write my story over a series of posts, each one highlighting a specific aspect (read: failure) such as product, marketing, company structure, etc. In retrospect, it is actually funny: I can’t recall many things that we did right. To keep focus on the lessons learned, I will leave out the names of involved parties wherever possible. Enjoy the following posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment